The 5 Principles of Liposuction
The American Society of Plastic Surgeons has released an article studying the 5 principles for “patient safety and good outcomes” in liposuction procedures. Liposuction is one of the most popular cosmetic surgery procedures performed in the Columbus, Ohio today. With so many procedures being undertaken each year, it is important to highlight actions that patients and doctors can take to make sure that they receive the results they want.
1. The first principle of successful liposuction is “preoperative evaluation and planning”. This means that the patient and doctor communicate successfully about what technique options are best for the patient and what the expectations of the patient are. Preoperative planning also involves making sure that the patient is healthy and committed to lifelong healthy eating and exercising.
2. Some liposuction procedures require the use of general anesthesia, which requires constant monitoring and safety techniques. Doctors study this principle intensely to make sure that the patient is protected and placed in the correct position during the procedure to promote safety.
3. Another principle is “wetting solutions and fluid status”. Various liposuction techniques use a wetting solution to allow liposuction of large areas to be performed. When using a wetting solution, it is imperative that the patient’s fluid status is monitored.
4. The fourth principle is proper body contouring to prevent complications. As liposuction is performed, certain irregularities may occur that require transferring fat cells from another area of the patient’s body. Body contouring should be discussed with the patient.
5. The final principle of liposuction is “postoperative care and outcomes measurement”. In this stage, patients must be careful to follow the physician’s instructions about caring for the area that has undergone liposuction. The physician must evaluate the success of the surgery according to the patient’s satisfaction.
With these five principles and cooperation between doctor and patient, liposuction surgery can be safely performed. Contact Columbus Aesthetic & Plastic Surgery to set up a liposuction consultation today!